Thursday, August 12, 2010

A bit about lizards

Even as I type the word a sense of ewwness takes over me. True that I try my best to love all the beings in the world irrespective of their colour, size, number of feet, weight or fur but my conscience doesn’t allow me to take the sight of a lizard.

I remember that as a kid, lizards were pretty much central to my decision of whether to enter my room or to stay out of it. In case I spotted one in the toilet, I’d stop my execution half way and instead contribute to the faster growth of a plant in a pot. Those were the days – you could water a plant openly and people would think it to be cute. (For the sake of humanity do not try it now!) An expensive research shows that one of the biggest fears in the world is that of a lizard falling on you. Of course, I was the only subject of the research.

The bloody things are just the right combo of brilliance and dumbness. They’ll position themselves on the small little walls on top of the doors scaring you every time you enter or step out. A witness says that I turn into a Mask-o-Shaktiman when I approach a door - walking faster than space ships. And when you try to shoo them off (or request someone else to do it for you, like in my case), they’ll play dead! Ha! How dumb is it to play dead on the walls? I suppose they don’t understand the gravity of the situation and hence, try to ignore gravity. Like the clash of arrows in Ramayana, a simultaneous occurrence of their boom of brilliance and our jolt of irritation takes place when they try their fake act of camouflage! Turn by turn, they’ll position themselves on all the brown coloured stuff –cupboard, shorts, chocolates, teddy bears, even mehen-dyed hair! And whose idea was it to have brown coloured brooms – the ultimate weapon to shoo lizards off?

As if the witty take on gravity was not enough, there is a touchy issue with gender sensitivity. All lizards (in Hindi and Marathi) are females. If you are a male with lizards in your room, it gives you a chance to come out of your room, make a public display of stretching yourself and when a friend tries to enter your room, shout at him, “Andar mat ja yaar… Woh dono abhi bhi so rahi hai!”

If you’re looking for things that keep lizards away, let me tell you, there’s absolutely nothing. People have told me to try egg shells and peacock feathers but none of them work. I have even gone to the extent of keeping egg shells painted with shades of peacock feather. May be I am the ultimate crawl-and-creep magnet. However, now that I have grown up, I have started believing friends who say that lizards are harmless – even good, since they eat bugs. So even as I write this, I am quite comfortable while a babe-on-the-front-wall stares at the screen secretly planning to fall on the keypad. Oh damn!! It is actually happening (in slow mo)! Itagkabd##%@goabgfbaohuba die die die!

24 comments:

sush said...

c'mon man... once u really get to know them u'll realise they're actually kinda cute.. ever touched one? :D

Nitesh Dahiya said...

Great Post yaar Thakre :-)....
If you find any solution to shoo lizards away, plzz update your blog for the greater good of "MAN"kind

Unknown said...

gud job Puksha....

Unknown said...

Hahaha....
zabardast..i remember taking a funny white candy into my hand...actually turned out to be a lizard egg...yeckkkk

Unknown said...

ewwww...yuckkk yuckkk yuckkk
How can you write about such a disgusting creature...
they may be harmless...but their yuckiness is 10 times their harmlessness.find a solution to keep them away...

Anonymous said...

I can imagine the fear it causes :( Loved the post as always \m/

Unknown said...

he he he .. after Tere Bin Laden, I am laughing now.. after reading this post..
:D
I just remember one incident, & Pushkar, this dude was a Marathi Manus ;).. Classmate.. 7th Grade.. He dropped by my bench and threw a lizzard at me.. A plastic one at that..

Which i picked and gave it back to him :P

& everyone around us was laughing including me.. :P

Tats my only and original experience.. ;)

Anonymous said...

ohh i feel your emotion ... i get the freaks when i see one miles away ... i have been through almost everything u have listed, toilets, doors, hinges, walls, windows .... but try egg therapy it works dont wash them though .... although i am an animal supporter lizards are in a different level altogether ....

Unknown said...

i really agree wid what yu wrote...mast ahe..! :D
i rem...how yu used to talk abt making a "chatni of lizard"...rite at the moment wen i used to take a bite of my food!!..ewww....!!

Unknown said...

Haha!
Brilliant job!
Well, FYI, I love spiders!

And I loved this:

If you are a male with lizards in your room, it gives you a chance to come out of your room, make a public display of stretching yourself and when a friend tries to enter your room, shout at him, “Andar mat ja yaar… Woh dono abhi bhi so rahi hai!”

That is so Pushkaraa!!!! ;)

Shantanu said...

'Expensive research on yourself' - looks like it had a long-lasting effect..!!

Unknown said...

In my class i had a bastered (pls pardon)he use to catch Lizard with his hand and fear all by bringing it near to us, we small creatures use to agree and follow all his decision he use to take due to fear of lizard. May god bless him with Lizard in his eating plate on day.

A Resurrected Paradox said...

How do you think these up Mr. crawl-and-creep magnet!!! Hope you get the 'babe'(on-the-wall or the two legged variety-your call! :P)you so rightly deserve!!!
Hilarious as always..Sheer brilliance esp the choice of subject, often my biggest challenge! :):):)

Abhishek said...

Love your posts man!!!

Unknown said...

lolz... Brings back a lot of lizard-may memories... I once kept my parents waiting for an our outside the front door... because there was a lizard on the door and i dint dare open it.
I am a firm believer that playing loud music in the room keeps the lizards out... try it..

Shruti said...

Why you write too good man :P
I may say lizards are lucky to have a post by WIMWI guy :P

Mystique.Fervor said...

"An expensive research shows that one of the biggest fears in the world is that of a lizard falling on you. Of course, I was the only subject of the research."

You're effin brilliant!! :D I'll comment further when I am done laughing.

Loved the post, the wit is put to good use!

Anonymous said...

As always, you are the best!

I wish Lizards could read this. They would have definitely loved your post. A couple of more lizards might have migrated to your room. All of you then would have haapyily stayed with you being "Pushkile- The King Reptile"!

(And friend, wo list mein se mera naam cut kar dena abhi!;):P )

MJ said...

Love the description !! :)

eighth said...

Good One!Funny and very sharp... Especially, because I have no such fears wrt to lizards provided at no time there number exceeds more than 10 in an average sized room. And, since your blog seemes to cover many, real and some humourously hypothetical aspects, of a Lizard life i thought that i should just mention: You could have touched upon the fact that they can regenerate an appendage! [like star fish].

whackosphere said...

lol...............n more...

but m gonna give u a li'l info...
in south india we have this panchang that's read out every year on new year's...and in it is this table about what it means if a lizard falls on n-part of the body...for example...if the lizard falls on your shoulder, u are about to discover a treasure..if it has fallen on your feet you are gonna be travelling far...if it falls on your face you will grow a tail(kidding of course!)...and suchlike...
mind blowing really...
and i have gotten ample opportunities to test the truth behind this...eeeuuuwwww....dont ask!!:D...loved it!

autoimpulsif said...

Whoa!
That was definitely a goose-bump raising read for me.

I hv to give it you, Oh Brave person! I can't imagine myself writing anything about them creepy-crawlies.

Good Job!

I hv to celebrate now, for having read the entire post. :D

Unknown said...

I actually have slept besides a Lizard in a Hotel room in Amritsar !!! and believe me it stinks i had to take a bath at 12 at night!!!!!

Rashi K. said...

Topic apart,I loved your description .It makes you feel creepy and funny at the same.You are doing an absolute good job-not on the lizards(which I don't mean literally :)),but yes!on your writing.